Friday, December 30, 2011

Favorite Photo of the Week: Sandpipers on the Beach 12.29.11

I can't believe there is one more day left in 2011. As I reflect on the year that has been, I can't help but get excited for the year to come. Christmas Day was the one year anniversary of me owning my DSLR, but I didn't really find my true passion for using it until I stumbled upon Courtney at Click it Up a Notch and found the help I needed to switch over to manual mode. It has been almost five months and I have been throughly changed by the experience. I am inspired, full of excitement for the possibilities and a desire to learn and grow. I have big photography and blog plans and goals for the upcoming year that I cannot wait to share with you!

Part of the reason I am so excited is the new photography gear I got for Christmas. A bunch of little things and one big thing that will aid in my photography journey. One of my favorite presents is a rain sleeve for my camera. Living and photographing in the Pacific Northwest presents some challenges when it comes to weather, specifically rain. My brother's girlfriend got me a rain sleeve for Christmas and on my recent trip to visit my dad in Astoria I used it every day (it was very stormy)! I loved that I could get out in the rain and the wind without worrying about my camera and it is so easy to use. Did I mention I love it :o)? I also got to use my Lens Pen Cleaning Kit I received for Christmas when the lens got wet from the rain drops. It allowed me to captured two of my favorite shots from the week.

The first is of a ship coming in on the Columbia River at Fort Stevens State Park (my favorite park in the area). I did a crop and a clean edit. The second was taken at Del Ray State Park the next day of the Sandpipers who were persistent in their search for food despite the weather. They would run out in a little pack when the waves rolled out and then back in when they rolled in again. They continued this pattern until some of them stopped to rest. This shot was taken with my zoom lens, rain sleeve and a little inspiration from my brother's girlfriend. Another clean edit, but no crop this time.

I hope you are looking forward to the upcoming year as much as I am. Let the 2012 journey begin!

Settings: ISO 200, 43mm, ss1/80, f/9.0 (full manual, cloudy wb)

Settings: ISO 400, 250mm, ss1/160, f/8.0 (full manual, cloudy wb)
"We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched.  Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives... not looking for flaws, but for potential."  - Ellen Goodman


Linking up with the link ups below. Be sure to check out the other favorite shots!
the long road    Happily Mother After  and then, she {snapped}

1 comment:

  1. Lovely shots. New gear is always a lot of fun, enjoy!

    Happy new year, and thanks for stopping by Around the Island.

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography on etsy and Society6 and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.